Yesterday was the last day of my first week of my first semester at college. I can't say that the first week went great and that I loved it, but I can say that now I think that I can do it. Everyone told me that it wouldn't be like high school, something that I was very excited about, and it's not. For one thing, there are less places to sit down. I walk all over campus trying to find a seat, but they are all taken. Not in the fact that every chair is occupied, but that there is at least one person on each bench or at every table. But I have found my four favorite places to sit when no one else is there. One is on the shadiest bench along the back of the JSB. The next is a covered bench, good when it rains, across from the front of the JSB next to the big rock. Third, a worn old chair behind a pillar in the sociology section of the bookstore. And last, the violently blue chair in the "lounge" in the women's restroom.
The last room is where I spent most of my time yesterday because I had an outlet to plug in my "new" laptop. It was very quiet until this girl came in one the phone with her mother telling her she wasn't feeling good. She hurriedly hung up just in time to lose the contents of her stomach in the sink. That was pretty gross. Then she left so I kept reading. Only a short time later she came back and laid on the floor. I kept reading, and took a short nap, because I didn't have time to look for a new place before my next class. Well, she threw up again. She kept apologizing, and everyone in the bathroom just kept saying it was fine and asking her if there was anything we could do. A custodian was called. I decided to stay with her until someone came. She just seemed so lonely, and she couldn't just go home to her mom. Soon the custodian came and I was kicked out of the bathroom. Oh well, it was almost time for my class any way.
Now, let's play a game.
I spy an iPod, a pencil, two notebooks, a text on the bushmen, a license, a book on rocks and three on writing, two sets of keys, a map, a journal and two pen, a phone to call my mother, a book on the constitution, books for my "ology" classes, "A" gift, and a token to ride the bus.I have a very heavy backpack. I take at least four heavy books each day, and now the computer.
I think that the most surprising thing is that I ride the city bus at least twice a day all alone. Yes, it's true. Mom went with me on the first day to teach me how and to calm me down, but since then I have been on my own. I'm getting pretty good at it if I do say so myself. And this is just the beginning of the cool college blogs I get to write.
1 comment:
Gretchen! I can not believe that you are in college now! WOW you pretty much are amazing and I want you to know that I am so greatful we are cousins!
Post a Comment