Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Embarrassing Baby Pictures...of Buster

As you all know, Buster has been having some health problems. It broke my heart that there was something wrong with him and I couldn't do anything to help him. They originally thought that he had a small vein that was bypassing his liver and causing toxins to be pumped back into his blood stream. However, he wasn't showing any signs of being sick other then what they found in his numerous blood tests. So all we could do was wait and watch. Yesterday I took him in for another blood test before his surgery. It was a relief when the doctor called and said that his blood test came back completely normal and that he was in perfect health. They performed the surgery and said he would be feeling better in a day or so.
Unfortunately, the struggle started right when we got home. For the next several days I have to keep him from licking, biting, or scratching his stitches. Our first attempt was an E-Collar, otherwise known as "the cone of shame." I had high hopes for this, but it failed miserably. He still manages to twist and turn his way to his wound. Now all it is good for is to make it easier to block his efforts. Now Buster has to always be with someone. He gets pretty frustrated. He's been on his leash for most of the day so he can't get too far.This is how Buster spent some time as we were waiting for bedtime. He may look like he was struggling, but he was actually very relaxed.

Finally, it was bedtime. With the help of three other people we managed to wrap him in a little diaper, hoping it would keep him from licking through out the night. He will be pretty embarrassed by these pictures when he grows up. But for now I just want him to get better soon.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Wow! I didn't even know you had a dog! I hope buster gets better soon!