Well, I did it again. I decided to host another dinner party. I had the idea way back in September, and it was all I could do to not send out the invitations that early. I came up with some key ideas, but then it was time to work on my film application and I just didn't have time to really work on the decorations. It was different this time because it would be in December, and as nice as the weather has been, it's just not the right time of year for an outdoor party. I had to try and redesign everything to fit into the living room. That would mean moving out as much furniture as possible so the tables would fit. By the time I really started working on things I had just under a month to get it all ready. I had to change and simplify a lot due to the lack of time. You know in Elf when they walk into the department store after Buddy has been working all night, and it's just perfect? That was my original idea. But I still think it turned out alright. My friends are starting to figure out that everything has significance for me. I plan very carefully who will come, where they sit, and what I give them. I put up all the pictures, so I might as well explain a little of why I did what I did.

The first party was chic, the second was classy, and this time I wanted it to be cozy. I tried to think of things that just embody a cozy winter day. One of the things I thought of was old fashioned stockings hung by the fire. Well, we don't have a fireplace, but I'd figure that out later. Mom introduced me to the idea of redwork, and I loved it. I found some pictures and started embroidering. I also love personalizing things with names, so each stocking was labeled.

I chose the holly for Brigette because it seemed elegant, and so is she.

Spencer got the snowflake because he has a very logical mind, and he likes things that are symmetrical.

Jessica got the candle because she has always been a shining light in my life. I will miss her a lot next semester while she is in Jerusalem.

Alisha and I once had a conversation about how much we love the Charlie Brown Christmas tree even though it looks so sad. It may not be all decked out, but it's what it represents that matters most.

All of apartment 108 has their first and last name on their stockings. Mostly because two of them are named Mike. Also because I have always called them by both their first and last name. So I thought of it as another personal touch.

Mike White got the teddy bear because he always seemed so quiet and reserved, but as I've gotten to know him better this last semester or two I have seen him be so carefree. I love that he gets so into things, even if they seem silly. We'll all miss him now that he has graduated and will be moving away.

Mike Downs is a hard guy to get to know. He is rather cynical and seems very judgmental, but this semester I have had a glimps or two of the softy he is inside. He really cares about people, and he likes opening up, but he has to really trust you first.

In the stocking I included a little booklet with some of our ugly sweater pictures and some short thoughts they each wrote about Christmas and traditions they had growing up. Each one had a different cover, again personalized to the individual.

Also, in their stocking they got a CD with all the ugly sweater pictures, some peanut M&Ms, and a practical gift.

Mom really helped me out with the table cloth and napkins. I think they turned out great. And the tables just barely fit into the room. For dinner we had delicious chili and cornbread. Lisa's recipe of course. And for desert we had a hot chocolate bar.

I couldn't think of anything really clever for the place cards. I thought of this the night before. I just kept it simple.

I got to decorate the tree. It was fun pulling out all of my snowflake and icicle ornaments. I had Bing Crosby playing in the background as I untangled the lights and put everything up.

Back to the problem of not having a fireplace. This is one of those looped videos of a crackling fire. It is oddly entrancing. I told everyone it was there to make the room look bigger.

I set up Mom's Christmas village on top of the piano. It had been a while since we'd had them all out. I also set out some Christmas storybooks so the piano didn't look so empty.

One of the houses wouldn't light up, so I figured it must be for sale. If you look closely there is a for sale sign in the snowdrift out front.

This is all the stockings hung on the bookshelf with care.

Once, when I was talking to Mike Downs, he admitted that he'd always been jelouse that girls could wear fuzzy polka dot socks. I think fuzzy socks are very cozy. So I found some at the dollar store and each guest got a pair when they got there. The guys were quite pleased with them. This is a picture of Ben, Mike, and Mike posing for the camera. My favorite comment about the socks was just after Ben had put them on. He said, "It's like my feet are getting a hug."

After dinner we just talked for a while, took a group picture, and then they all helped me take decorations down so that the floor could be torn up the next morning. It was very nice of them to stay and help. They said they had a lot of fun, and so did I. But it will probably be a few months before I start working on another one. But don't worry, I'm already in the planning stage.
2 comments:
It looks like you did have a cozy delicious night.You're amazing.
I love how your red work and the stockings turned out! The room looked great - I wish that I would have sneaked over to see it for myself!
Post a Comment